…through college applications and beyond
A class for parents of 8th, 9th, and 10th grade students
Mentorship – A relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps to guide a less experienced or less knowledgeable person.Click here to register for
Mentoring Your Teenager 2020
As parents, we want to guide our children, to give them the benefits of our knowledge and experience. Beyond that, our relationship with our teenager is their first model for mentoring relationships in general. If we create a healthy and productive model, they will know how to seek out and accept guidance from other adults throughout their lives, as they continue forward into young adulthood. However, during the teen years mentoring can become especially challenging, at the same time that such guidance becomes especially important.
This five-session seminar for parents will provide you with tools and strategies for mentoring your teenager. The course is structured as a mix of brief lecture by the instructor and discussion among the parents, with some homework to be completed between sessions.
Topics covered include:
- The role of mentors, and how parents model mentoring relationships
- Coherence between our personal mission as parents/mentors and what colleges look for in admissions
- Cultivating motivation, in theory and practice
- How to support the development of motivation in your teen
- Identifying and supporting interests and passions
- The college admissions process, from the perspective of parents
Schedule, Location, and Cost
- Meeting Dates: The class meets Sunday afternoons, on the following dates:
- December 8, 2019
- January 12, 2020
- February 16, 2020
- March 22, 2020
- April 26, 2020
- Time: 1:30 – 3:30 pm
- Location: Annandale, Virginia
- Price: $395 for one parent; no additional charge for spouse or partner to attend and participate
Click the green button above to register and pay.